Toyota Logo

Certificate of Conformity: your questions answered

A Certificate of Conformity (COC) is a paper document issued by a vehicle manufacturer as evidence that a vehicle complies with European regulations, including environmental and safety standards. The document also supports the process of registering a vehicle in any European member state without further requirements subject to national laws.

A number of frequently asked questions have arisen about the COC. Scroll down to read the answers to these, and where to go for further advice.

Why do I need a Certificate of Conformity?

There are six primary reasons why you will need to request a COC.

  • You are exporting your vehicle abroad
  • You want to return to the UK with a vehicle previously registered in the UK
  • You want to import your vehicle from the Channel Islands or Northern Ireland
  • You want to register a vehicle for a Congestion Charge discount or residential permit
  • You want to apply for a taxi or private hire driving licence
  • You want to show evidence of the emissions standards of the vehicle

When applying for a taxi or private hire driving licence, it is the owner’s responsibility to confirm what documentation is required with the Public Carriage Office department of Transport for London. This could be either a COC or a letter from the manufacturer confirming the Euro emissions standard of the vehicle.

We advise owners not to book an inspection with the PCO office until the necessary documents have been obtained.

How much does a Certificate of Conformity cost?

A COC is free of charge if you are the original owner of the vehicle or purchased it as a used vehicle from an official Toyota centre. Subsequent owners, or those who do not meet the previous criteria, will be charged £75.00 (including VAT, administration costs and postage) to receive a COC.

If necessary, Toyota (GB) PLC can provide a Euro emissions declaration letter. This is charged at £10.00 (including VAT, administration costs and postage) and can be requested by emailing

How do I apply for a Certificate of Conformity?

If you purchased your new or used vehicle from an official Toyota centre you can request a COC through the dealership you purchased the vehicle from. Alternatively, you can request a COC directly from Toyota (GB) PLC by emailing

In both instances you will need to prove that you are the vehicle’s registered keeper. A copy of the full V5C ‘log book’ document should be submitted to as evidence (the tear-off New Keeper slip is not sufficient proof of registration). If you are not the registered keeper, you can provide  an official purchase invoice that clearly states your full name, address and vehicle details.

How long will it take to receive my certificate?

If your COC is being supplied free of charge, the document should be dispatched within the 10-14 day processing period. If payment is required, the COC will be dispatched 5-7 days after your payment has been received and cleared.

As the COC is a legal document, it cannot be emailed and has to be posted to the address you have provided.

Where can I go for more information?

Toyota (GB) PLC has a dedicated web page that explains how we can support you in the importing and exporting process but you can also email the team at

Please be advised that it can take up to 10-14 working days to receive a response and that Toyota cannot provide advice regarding how to import or export your vehicle.

Further information can also be found on the UK government website.

Comments (2)

  1. I bourt my Toyota in irland but moved back to UK need to register my car here I bourt the car from Toyota please avise

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.